12 January 2009

email exchange with my advisor

From me:

Warren,

Even though I won't officially begin working on my project until next
year, I figure it's a good idea to get a head start. Since I would like
to create a full-length comic book for the project, I need an
overarching theme or idea before I can even begin. I have one, and I
wanted to see what you think of it.

I recently read an article in the New York Times about "confessional"
graphic novels - an extremely popular genre. From R. Crumb to David
Healtey (who just released a book, "My Brain is Hanging Upside Down"),
the "confessional" graphic novel has proven extremely successful.
Personally, though, I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with the
confessional style comic, not because I'd feel embarrassed to give all
the juicy details, but rather, because I feel like it's presumptuous to
believe that people would be interested in the specifics of my life. I
don't feel like I've really earned it yet to be that self- indulgent.
When thinking about the comics I've already drawn, I realized that many
of them come from stories that other people have told me about their
lives that have affected me in one way or another. This got me thinking.

Instead of writing a confessional graphic novel about myself, I thought
perhaps I could compile lots and lots of stories from everyone I know
about both insignificant and significant moments in their lives and
re-enact them through a single invented character. In a way, then, I
could compose a collective confession.

Please let me know what you think. I don't want to begin the research
and work for this if you think it's a bad idea.

Thank you very much. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Molly


From him:
Go for it, but make it truly confessional. Warren

1 comment:

Lea Selitsky said...

warren plz be my advisor!!!!